Dealing with Addiction by using the Power of Living in the Present Moment

Not long ago a friend asked me if I had read the book "Women Food and God" by Geneen Roth. I mentioned that another friend had told me about an earlier book she did on eating disorders and food addictions. I have always believed that working through the Twelve Steps is a guide for life and so claims the cover for "Women Food and God". Many of her concepts are keys to recovery from any addiction and it truly is a book worth reading. She quotes one of my favorite poets, Mary Oliver. In her poem "When Death Comes", Mary Oliver writes: When it's over, I want to say; all my life/I was a bride married to amazement." "Me, too, (and me, too). I want a life of amazement. I want to show up for what Zorba the Greek called 'the whole catastrophe'." She conducts 6 day workshops using the concepts of meditation as inquiry and mindfulness in eating. She advocates an awareness of experiencing life and "showing up in the only place from which to experience it: here, now, in this very moment." Remember my earlier comments about the power of living in the present moment? I do not want to over simplify her workshops, you may want to read the book to get the full picture.





Sue Judd, M.S.S., L.S.A.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment