Recovery is Learning How to be Proactive rather than Reactive.

A few months ago one of my clients gave me a bookmark with part of the 3rd Step prayer on one side and a short prayer on the other. I misplaced it and just found it again and I am so glad of its reminder. The 2nd and 3rd Steps are spiritual. Step 2 is: "We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity". Step 3 is: "We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him." The bookmark states: Give it to God and quotes: "God, I offer myself to Thee to build with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always." On the flip side: Lord, Help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that you and I together can not handle and I am not alone. Good thoughts!





Part of recovery is learning how to be pro-active rather than reactive and defensive. If I am pro-active I pause and think how to act rather than reacting with no thought. Deepak Chopra has defined "responsibility" as the "ability to respond". Responding is a proactive rather than a reactive approach. Max Lucado in the day by day book, "Grace for the Moment suggests: Yesterday, you can't alter, but your reaction to yesterday you can. The past you cannot change, but your response to your past you can." It is empowering to shift my beliefs, perceptions and thoughts.





Sue Judd, M.S.S., L.S.A.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment